We are having 4o Days of Prayer for Lent at First Congregation Church. We want to encourage accelerated spiritual growth through creative and engaging prayer. It will help to make a two-part commitment: 1.) Come to Worship Each Week; 2.) Join a Discussion on Prayer.
I believe that the combination of Worship and Discussion will help us engage with the teachings of the Bible in personal ways and spur growth in the practice of prayer. After sharing my thinking with some staff members and lay leaders, they came up with suggestions for two different Opportunities during Lent. When I was discussing the first possibility with our leaders, one of them said, "This could give us the possibility of building sustainability in the early hour."
Chapel Prayer Discussion at 8:30 / Sanctuary Worship at 10:00
Here are some Features of this possibility:
- I could lead a discussion on prayer at 8:30 instead of sharing a sermon (Armando and Julio could also participate in the leadership of this guided discussion)
- We could maintain 8:30 Worship elements that people treasure: Some Singing, Quartet Music, maybe even add a weekly Lenten Communion.
- We could increase attendance at 8:30 by adding those from 10AM Worship who, a.) desire an early discussion time, or b.) are attracted by the opportunity to Celebrate Communion during Lent.
- We could also potentially increase attendance from among the Parents of Clarion Kids. The children could join us with their parents, and then go to choir practice after a few minutes.
- Following our time together in the Chapel, people could go to the Sanctuary for formal WORSHIP at 10 AM. At this time, we would provide the SERMON.
- Although we are encouraging a two-hour commitment from everybody to enhance our Experience of Prayer during this 40 Days of Prayer, some may still opt for one hour and that's fine.
Sanctuary Worship at 10:00 / Prayer Discussion at 11:15
People could come to 1OAM Worship in the Sanctuary, then come to a discussion in Kimberly Hall (or Lounge) at 11:15AM.
What do you think?
- Would you consider making a commitment for 2 Hours on Sunday morning during Lent: Worship AND Discussion?
- What do you think of the 8:30AM and 11:15AM Discussion on Prayer ideas?
We want to engage people in Worship and Discussion about Prayer during Lent, in order to accelerate spiritual growth and heighten our connections with one another. Please write or call, and share your initial thoughts?