Alpha Ministry suggests a Holy Spirit Weekend, where we explore how the Holy Spirit is as work in the lives of various people, and explore how the Holy Spirit desires to work in our life.
Who is the Holy Spirit? - Lesson 1
What was your concept of the Holy Spirit (Holy Ghost, Spirit of God) before watching this video? Has your opinion changed at all?
- Nicky talks about the work of the Holy Spirit & how He still changes lives today. Have you seen a difference in your life or in others who became Christians? (peace, freedom from addictions, broken relationships restored, etc)
- Nicky says that “rivers of living water” will flow through us. How can we show God’s forgiveness, hope, acceptance, love, healing to others?
- What are some ways we can focus on the Holy Spirit and be filled with the Holy Spirit? (pray, read Bible, music, meditate, etc)
- In the video, Nicky explains what happened on the Day of Pentecost and speaking in tongues. Have you heard of this before? What are your thoughts?
What does the Holy Spirit Do? - Lesson 2
Have your parents shared with you any stories about the day you were born? Anything out of the ordinary? Can you share them with us?
- What do you think about this idea of being “born of the Spirit” or “born again”?
- How does the Holy Spirit work in our lives even if we are not Christian? (convicts us of sin & our need for Jesus, convinces us of Truth, helps us put our faith in Jesus)
- What changes have you noticed in your life since beginning your spiritual journey / or since becoming a Christian? (attitude, values, desires, character)“The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” Galatians 5:22
- Nicky said that one of the benefits of being adopted into God’s family is having ‘new brothers and sisters’ and that we need to ‘make every effort to keep the unity’ (Ephesians 4:3). What are some ways we can keep the unity?
- How does the Holy Spirit help us develop our relationship with God? (The Holy Spirit helps us to pray and to understand God’s )
How Can I be Filled with the Holy Spirit? - Lesson 3
Share with us if you’ve ever had a supernatural experience and you knew it was God speaking to you at that moment?
- Nicky talked about the Day of Pentecost and people being filled with the Spirit and speaking ‘in tongues’. What are your feelings about this?
- What are some reasons a person might be hesitant to being filled with the Holy Spirit? (fear, doubt, inadequacy, etc)
- What do you think is the difference between ‘expressing our emotions’ and ‘emotionalism’? How do you determine what is going too far?
- Nicky mentions Holy Spirit might work through us a) Praise & worship; b) Praying under pressure; c) Praying for others. How do you see the Holy Spirit helping you pray in these times.
- If God already knows our thoughts, why do you think He gave us the ability to speak ‘in other tongues’?
How can I make the most of the rest of my Life? - Lesson 4
Are you the type of person to set goals and make resolutions or do you prefer to be spontaneous in life?
- In what ways does the world try to squeeze us into its mould? How can we resist this pressure?
- The Biblical context of a sexual relationship is within the lifelong commitment in marriage between one man and one woman. What dangers are there in going outside these boundaries?
- What would you say to someone who has crossed these boundaries and now regrets what he/she has done? (if not Christian, become a “new creation”, fresh start, born again; if Christian, confess, accept God’s forgiveness)
- Nicky said, “Until we leave the rubbish behind, we cannot enjoy the wonderful things God has for us.” What are some examples of these rubbish things in life?
- What are some practical ways we can make the most of our lives in these areas Nicky mentioned: time –relationship with God & others; ambitions, possessions & money, body – ears, eyes, mouth, hands
- The Bible mentions numerous times that God loves us and wants the very best for our lives. Why is it sometimes difficult to believe this? (we believe the devil’s lies instead)